Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Scheduling an Appointment

About scheduling an appointment online

  • Show What is the benefit of scheduling an appointment online?
    You can easily schedule an appointment online to meet with one of our specialists for a day and time that work best for you.
  • Show Can I still go directly to my banking center and meet with an associate without making an appointment?
    Scheduling your appointment online means you avoid waiting if banking center associates are serving other customers. But you can still come in and speak with an associate without making an appointment.
  • Show What topics can I get help with at my appointment?
    All banking center locations have associates who can help you with personal banking needs, such as account opening or renewal, or small business needs, such as applying for a new loan or account maintenance and service. 

    In addition, some locations have Merrill Edge Financial Solutions Advisors with whom you can discuss topics such as saving for retirement, managing retirement income and expenses, and investment topics.

    A home loans specialist is available to meet with you in some locations or over the phone to discuss these topics:

    Buying a home
    Using the equity in your home

    Please note: Appointments cannot be scheduled for transactions that would typically be handled by a teller, such as depositing checks, making a withdrawal or balance inquiries.

  • Show What is a Small Business Banker?
    Small Business Bankers have proven expertise in evaluating small business financial needs and matching those needs with Bank of America's world-class financial products and services. Their aim is to make it easier for small business owners to start and grow their business. They are uniquely trained and positioned to ensure that all of the capabilities and partnerships of Bank of America are readily available to help small business owners meet their goals.
  • Show What is a Merrill Edge Financial Solutions Advisor?
    A Financial Solutions Advisor can help you with your financial needs, including savings, retirement, education and general investing.
  • Show What is a home loans specialist?
    A home loans specialist can assist you with buying a home, refinancing a home, using the equity in your home for various purposes or quoting rates and fees. These specialists manage the end-to-end consumer home loans referral request, from taking an application to providing status throughout the home loan process.
  • Show Where can I get home loan information online?
    You can find home loans calculators, ways to prequalify for a mortgage or apply for a home equity product, and information about the process of getting a home loan in our Home Loans section

Scheduling and managing your appointment online

The day of your appointment

  • Show When should I arrive at the banking center for my appointment?
    You can arrive for your appointment as scheduled and check in with the Lobby Leader. In the event that you are running late, we will hold your appointment for at least 10 minutes, depending on the number of customers waiting to speak with one of our associates.
  • Show What forms of identification are acceptable when conducting business with the bank?

    Generally, we require two forms of identification to verify your identity. You must bring at least one form of identification from the Primary ID List. The second form of identification can be from the Primary ID List or Secondary ID List.


    Primary ID List (must have at least one from this list)

    • Drivers license with photo
    • U.S. non driver's license state-issued ID (with photo)
    • U.S. driver's permit (with photo)
    • U.S. Military ID Common Access Card (CAC) (with photo)
    • United States Armed Services ID (with photo)
    • United States state, or local government issued identification card (with photo)
    • U.S. passport (with photo)
    • Canadian Citizenship Certificate Card (with photo)
    • U.S. Alien Registration Receipt Card - Form I-551 (with photo)
    • U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa and Border Crossing Card - DSP-150 (with photo)
    • Foreign passport with or without passport Visa (with photo)
    • INS Employment Authorization Card - Form I-766 or I-688 (with photo)
    • Mexican Consular ID Card (with photo)
    • Dominican Republic Consular ID (with photo)
    • Colombian Consular ID (with photo)
    • Guatemalan Consular ID Card (with photo)
    • Bank of America branded debit card or credit card (with photo)
    • Bank of America debit card, ATM Card, or credit card (without photo)

    Secondary ID List (may only use one of these in conjunction with a Primary ID)

    • Major credit card from another financial institution (including American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Novus/Discover) (with or without photo)
    • Major retail credit card from a nationally well-known department store or other nationally well-known retail company (such as Chevron, Macy's) (with or without photo)
    • Debit card (check card) with Visa® or MasterCard® logo from another financial institution (with or without a photo)
    • U.S. college/university ID - validated for current term or school year (with photo)
    • U.S. student ID card from a local high school validated for current school year (with/without photo)
    • U.S. issued employment/work ID card or badge (with/without photo)
    • Account Opening: Can be accepted at both offsite and banking center locations
    • U.S. driver's license (without photo)
    • U.S. Dept of State Diplomat driver's license (with photo)
    • U.S. Dept of State Diplomat ID (with photo)
    • Foreign driver's license (such as Brazil, France) (with photo)
    • Mexican driver's license (with photo)
    • Canadian driver's license (with photo)
    • Indian Tribal ID from a local reservation (with or without a photo)
    • Mexican Voter Registration Card (with photo)
    • AARP Card
    • Current lease agreement (must contain name and current address)
    • Current Property Tax Statement
    • Current utility bill (must contain name and current address)
    • Current vehicle registration
    • Department of Correction ID
    • Driver's permit (temporary or beginner's) from any state (without photo)
    • Health insurance card
    • Hong Kong Travel Document
    • Membership card (BJ's, COSTCO, Auto Club)
    • Sheriff's card
    • Social Security card
    • U. S. state or local government-issued license, permit or ID (examples: fishing, hunting, or gun permit)
    • Union card
    • United States Armed Services ID (without photo)
  • Show What documentation should I bring if I need to make changes to an existing account?

    Depending on the type of change you would like to make to your existing account, the bank will require legal documentation that provides proof of the change in order to update the status of the account. Below is a list of frequently made changes along with acceptable documentation to support the change.

    Name/Legal Name of Entity


    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce decree (including name change)
    • Adoption certificate
    • Legal court order of name change


    • Legal documentation for the business showing that the name is changing and the effective date
    • Articles of Incorporation
    • Certificate of Good Standing
    • Partnership Agreement

    Date of Birth

    • Birth certificate
    • Driver's license
    • Passport

    Identification Number

    • Social Security card
    • Employer Identification Number (EIN) documentation

    Evidence of Legal Status

    • Business: Official documentation that the business entity exists, such as corporate formation documents or articles of incorporation, partnership agreements or trust documents

    Expiration Date of ID

    Newer or updated information, such as:

    • Driver’s license
    • Passport
    • Business license
    • Certificate of good standing
    • Partnership agreements
    • Trust documents
    • Articles of Incorporation

    Country of Citizenship

    • Birth certificate
    • U.S. Citizenship Declaration
    • Passport

    Place of Legal Formation

    • Business: Official documentation that the business entity exists, such as corporate formation documents or articles of incorporation, partnership agreements or trust documents

    Legal Entity Type

    • Business: Evidence of legal status (for example, partnerships should present partnership agreements, trusts should provide trust documents, and corporations should present corporate formation documents or articles of incorporation)
  • Show What type of documentation should I bring to adequately identify my business?

    Depending on the type of business you are representing, you will be required to present some or all of the documents that are applicable.

    Sole Proprietor

    • Fictitious Name Certificate or Trade Name (or equivalent document) OR
    • Business License (if required)


    • Corporate Organizing Document such as the Articles of Incorporation or Certificate of Formation
    • Fictitious Name Certificate or Trade Name (or equivalent document)
    • If nonprofit: IRS Ruling letter of tax exemption

    Limited Liability Corporation

    • Articles of Organization or Certificate of Organization
    • Fictitious Name Certificate or Trade Name (or equivalent document)
    • Certificate of Registration from State of CA if LLC formed outside of CA


    • Articles of Association (in states where required) or bylaws
    • If nonprofit: IRS Ruling letter of tax exemption


    • Partnership Agreement
    • Fictitious Name Certificate or Trade Name (or equivalent document)

    Limited Partnership

    • Partnership Agreement or Certificate of Limited Partnership (or equivalent document)
    • Fictitious Name Certificate or Trade Name (or equivalent document)

    Limited Liability Partnership

    • Partnership Agreement or Statement of Qualification of Limited Liability Election Form or Certificate of LLP (or equivalent document)
    • Fictitious Name Certificate or Trade Name (or equivalent document)

    Foreign Companies

    • A U.S. state issued Foreign Corporation Application or Foreign Corporation Qualification or equivalent document showing the business has U.S. permission to act within the U.S.
    • U.S. organizing documentation proving formation in the U.S. and proof of a U.S. presence.

Telephone appointments